It is said that there are two types of people in this world, introverts, and extroverts. No matter which type you are, starting a conversation with others can sometimes be difficult, especially if you don’t know them well.
Our list of conversation starters will give you all kinds of ideas to help you with your social skills because we could all use help with this at one time or another, right?
These questions will even get you thinking when you are just hanging out with friends. I like the idea of bringing up this list on your device, discussing a question of your choice from it, then handing it to someone else to ask you the next question.
Questions like these can be the start of some great sad or funny stories. These questions can also help you get to know someone in the group you may not know very well. You don’t even have to use the questions in order.
The idea behind this article is to encourage people to start conversing with each other and even getting to some of the deeper stuff with some of them if you want. It’s all directed by you, so here is a list of our best conversation starter questions to help you get started.
217 Best Conversation Starters
To use this list, simply click on the topic you would like to see first and start there. This list allows you to be in conversations for as long or as little as you like, so time is not an issue. We include conversation starters that are about all kinds of topics:
1. If you could invent a school subject, what would it be?
If you’re in high school or even elementary school, this is a cute and fun way to initiate a conversation with a potential friend.
2. What college did you go to?
This is a good question to ask coworkers or people you meet at parties.
3. What are your thoughts on free college tuition?
It seems impossible to not breach the subject of politics when it comes to conversations about education.
4. Did you enjoy elementary school, middle school, or high school better?
You could switch this question around to ask which they enjoyed least, as well.
5. Do you believe it’s possible to continue learning throughout your entire life?
Open-ended questions like this always get people thinking.
6. Do you have any horror stories from your school days?
This may get you some hilarious responses. Anyone who says they survived middle school without some mental scarring is lying to you.
7. What’s your opinion on standardized testing? Does it level the playing field when it comes to college acceptance percentage rates?
You’d be surprised at the differences of opinions people have on this issue.
8. What’s your learning style? Are you more visual, auditory, or kinesthetic?
This is an interesting way to get to know someone. It keeps the conversation going in a thoughtful and unique direction.
9. Would you ever become a teacher? If so, what would you teach and at what grade level?
Grade school kids aren’t as easy as they seem. Any second-grade art teacher will tell you it’s madness.
10. Do you think our country’s current system of public education harms more than helps disadvantaged youth?
So it turns out, there’s only so much you can ask about a person’s opinion on education without entering into the realm of sociopolitical jargon.
11. What were your favorite subjects in school?
But really, though, PE was our time to shine.
12. In your experience, is planning a study routine or cramming more effective?
There are two types of people in college: those who look a week ahead and those who do not.
1. If you had to choose, would you rather be roommates with Joey and Chandler or Monica and Rachel?
It depends on if you’re comfortable with a certain pair of rather loud feathered flatmates…
2. What is your favorite guilty pleasure TV show?
Soap, soap, soap!!!
3. What is the last thing you binge-watched on Netflix?
Be intimidated only if they answer Grey’s Anatomy… All. Fifteen. Seasons.
4. Would you rather watch a true-crime TV show or listen to a true-crime podcast?
Too many people in this world have obsessions with true crime. But hey, at least it’s conversation-worthy.
5. What kind of show would you design yourself?
Something to do with sliming celebrities, angry dramatic chefs, or eventful high school romances, if you please!
6. Do you have a theory about subliminal messages and Marxist theory when it comes to broadcast television?
Definitely do NOT start off a conversation this way. Just use it to keep things flowing when you’re already on the subject.
7. Do you prefer reality TV over a fictional TV series?
Is reality TV even real anyways?
8. Do you think insurance or over-the-counter drug commercials actually work?
You can’t tell me you don’t enjoy those Mayhem Allstate commercials.
9. Out of all the singing competition shows that have aired over the last 20 years, which do you like the best?
Early 2000s American Idol to 2020’s The Masked Singer, this question brings to mind all the drama and glamour of those final few contestants.
10. Do you like to watch documentaries?
If you’re looking to find whether or not you and your conversation partner(s) have similar interests, this is a good place to start.
11. Do you think you could live without TV for a week, month, etc.?
The way someone answers this question could tell you a lot about their priorities.
12. Would you rather star in a movie or a TV show?
Apparently, they are two very different industries.
1. If you had to pick one–skydiving, bungee jumping, or scuba-diving–which would you choose?
Being adventurous is a highly attractive personality trait, so if you’re trying to connect with someone on a flirtatious level, this is probably a great option.
2. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Travel is one of the most exciting topics. The possibilities are endless!!
3. What are the top three things on your bucket list?
Someone’s answer to this will usually have something to do with travel, so it’s worth finding out.
4. If you had access to a time machine, what time period would you travel to first?
It’s all fun and games until someone rips a hole in the space-time continuum!
5. What’s your idea of the perfect vacation?
From the beaches of California to the Alaskan backwoods, there’s no wrong answer to this question.
6. Would you rather spend two weeks on a whirlwind European tour or at a Caribbean resort?
The older you get, the more you’ll probably lean towards the resort…or not. Some people find resort living too boring. What do you think?
7. What was the most over-hyped place you traveled to?
Europe is incredible, but it can’t be all delicious pastries and squeaky clean cobblestone streets, can it?
8. What’s the longest plane trip you’ve ever taken, and where were you going when you took it?
You know what they say: the sights are worth the flights.
9. Where is the most beautiful place near where you live?
Travelling doesn’t necessarily have to happen far from home. Some of earth’s or man’s great treasures can be found close to home.
10. Would you rather go on a cruise with friends or with your spouse?
This question is assuming their spouse is not one of their friends, but I hope that’s not the case.
11. Would you rather take a rugged camping, backpacking, getting-your-hands-dirty type of trip or a classy, luxurious, drinks-with-little-umbrellas type of trip?
According to every travel podcast ever, there’s an unwritten rule among travelers. You work your way from the bottom up till eventually you’re in retirement on a private beach drinking mocktails.
12. What is the shadiest hotel/hostel you’ve ever stayed in?
Date idea: recount hotel horror stories over a candle-lit dinner. Oh, and don’t forget to mention the cockroach infestations.
1. If you had a reality TV show about your life, what would the theme song be?
So no one told you life was gonna be this way…
2. If you could go on tour with a band, what band would you choose?
Too bad One Direction broke up.
3. If you could be a famous musician of any kind, what instrument(s) would you play?
Yes, technically you could be a famous tubist.
4. Would you rather break out in breakdancing every time someone hums, or never be able to sing again?
Music and dance are expressions of the soul.
5. Would you rather listen to music from the ‘40s or the ‘80s?
Both are nostalgic. Both have their merits, but which one suits your fancy? Which one is more totally awesome?
6. What’s your favorite movie soundtrack?
This question will definitely get someone thinking. From Guardians of the Galaxy to Jurassic Park, the possibilities are endless.
7. What song do you wish you could listen to right now?
Hopefully, it’s not an annoying song that will get stuck in your head the rest of the day!
8. What’s the last concert you went to?
Was it a chill orchestra concert or a wild and crazy rock concert?
9. Are there any songs that always make you cry?
A certain Titanic tragedy theme song comes to mind…
10. What song always puts you in a good mood?
Whether it’s Lizzo or Pharell Williams, everyone has that one song that can make them dance in any and every situation.
11. In reference to the question #8, do you prefer wild and crazy rock concerts or chill orchestra concerts?
Everyone has their preference, but I’ll allow you to enjoy both.
12. How do you discover new music?
With so many music streaming apps nowadays, the world of music is open to everyone.
1. Do you think there are aliens on other planets?
Space is a broad enough topic for even the least creative person to speculate on. Get someone onto the subject of their conspiracy theories, and you’ll be talking all day.
2. Who would win in a fight, a robot or a dinosaur?
This may seem like a conversation starter for kids, but it’ll make any adult laugh and lighten the atmosphere of the room.
3. When you die, what would you want to be reincarnated as?
The afterlife might seem like a grim topic in most situations, but when you’re talking about inhabiting the body of a tiger, the conversation is actually pretty rad.
4. Do you think humans should all have tails or horns?
With all that extra balance, I’d make it to the Olympics for sure.
5. If any conspiracy theory could be true, which would you choose?
#ResurrectRaidArea51 or something…
6. In your opinion, is a hot dog a sandwich?
Very, very, VERY serious question.
7. What is something that everyone looks stupid doing?
Be prepared for some laughs and Youtube compilations of people falling.
8. Would you rather have a useless superpower or a superpower that you can never use because it’s too dangerous for yourself and those around you?
I sense a Marvel movie subplot coming on…
9. What is your strangest hidden talent?
Be prepared to be amazed!
10. Are you a pen person or a pencil person?
Are you confident with a pen or do you just know you’re gonna make mistakes?
11. Where would be better to live, a dystopia or utopia?
There are plenty of fantasy or sci-fi novels and movies to help you decide this one.
12. What’s invisible but you wish people could see?
In today’s world, mostly germs.
1. I’ve heard this place is amazing, but I’m not sure what to order. Have you been to this place before?
Keep it short and simple. Food is one of the best segways into easy conversation.
2. Sorry if this seems forward, but I’m thinking about trying out that new cafe/diner/sit-down place this weekend. Would you like to come?
This is a great way to ask someone out without all the hassle or the overthinking. The key is to stay sweet and genuine.
3. What’s the best restaurant you’ve ever been to?
If you like this person, invite them to grab a bite. Chances are, they won’t say no to their favorite restaurant.
4. Would you eat at a restaurant if it was really dirty but the food was spectacular?
I mean, you aren’t a health inspector, and “clean” is a relative term.
5. If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?
This actually poses a difficult choice. Like you have to choose between pizza and spring rolls!
6. When you were a kid, what was your favorite fast food place to grab a bite?
After soccer practice, skittering around the McDonald’s playground, your cleats still wet with grass and mud. The sweaty kid behind you in the tube slide kicks you in the head and you run crying to your mom, but it’s alright because the order has arrived. She soothes your pain with glowing, golden chicken nuggets.
7. What is the strangest themed restaurant you’ve ever heard of?
These places get pretty weird. We’re talkin’ aliens and zombies, vampires and bigfoot, mental hospitals, toilets, and even an entire restaurant dedicated to Donald Trump!!
8. What’s the best restaurant to go to on a Friday night?
If you’re starting a new job and want to take the opportunity to make some new friends, this is a great icebreaker.
9. If McDonald’s and Chick-fil-a battled it out, who would win?
You could make arguments for price, quality, customer service, and a million other things.
10. On a road trip, would you rather grab food at a local burger joint, a fast-food place, or the trusty grocery store deli?
Eventually, you get tired of fast-food anyway.
11. At an exotic restaurant, are you the kind of person that orders what you can’t even pronounce or takes the safe route and orders the familiar dish?
Or maybe you are the kind of person that won’t even go to the exotic restaurant in the first place!
12. Do you think McDonald’s chicken nuggets are made with actual chicken?
There’s some speculation that the pink “goo” is just ground up chicken parts. Yuck!
1. What is the weirdest food combination that you’ve ever tried?
Food is the universal language, or so they tell me.
2. If you had the chance to eat dessert for breakfast every day without it affecting your health, which dessert would you choose?
Forget about 9 AM pastries and donuts, we’d rather have chocolate mousse and gourmet fudge!!!
3. If you could invent a new ice cream flavor, what would it be?
Surprisingly, this question can tell you a lot about a person.
4. If you only had the choice to eat one vegetable for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Gourds. The answer is always gourds.
5. What is the one food you could survive solely on for the rest of your life?
Nutrient mush, so as to prevent death…or quesadillas.
6. What’s your favorite dish to make?
Toast is always a safe bet.
7. If you were on death row, what would your final meal be?
It’s pretty morbid to think about, but also a good way to get introspective and keep the conversation interesting.
8. Do you pour the milk or the cereal first?
There are some things you just can’t argue about.
9. Which is better: a center or a corner piece of a brownie?
Pit gooey against crispy and commence construction of your Instagram polls.
10. Does pineapple belong on pizza?
This primordial argument was pretty exhausted back in 2017 but feel free to resurrect it at your coworker’s birthday party and watch the chaos ensue.
11. What junk food would you choose to sustain yourself on if that was all you could eat for the rest of your life?
Bugles have all the essential nutrients and if you disagree I don’t want to hear it!!!
12. If you were trying to impress your fiance’s Scottish parents, would you eat haggis (aka sheep’s stomach stuffed with entrails)?
Enjoy your dish of steamy, decomposing guts!!!
1. Do you prefer to wear sweatpants or jeans?
This question might just be the hardest one to answer out of all these questions!
2. If you could describe your personal style in one word, what would it be?
People get pretty creative when it comes to summing up their look.
3. Would you say fashion helps society?
Get deep into the semantics of branding and this topic turns into a conspiracy theory.
4. What is a fashion trend that you are really glad went away?
Platform flip-flops? Bell-bottoms? Shoulder-padded power suits? Enough said.
5. Are you more of a band t-shirt or a cozy cardigan type of person?
If you wear cardigans over your band t-shirts, you might just be a fashion enigma.
6. Who do you think are the biggest fashion trendsetters in society: actors, YouTubers, musicians, etc.?
In other words, where is the first place you go to when you need fashion inspiration?
7. If you didn’t care at all what people thought of you, what would you choose to wear?
This is a fun topic to get creative on.
8. What’s your favorite vintage trend that has recently made a comeback?
Denim jackets are pretty timeless if you ask me.
9. Would you consider yourself more of a minimalist or a shopaholic when it comes to clothing?
There’s really no wrong answer. “You get a free wardrobe! And YOU get a free wardrobe!”
10. Do you like winter or summer fashion better?
Everybody has their preference.
11. What’s your favorite clothing brand?
Are you more of a Tommy Hilfiger or an American Eagle type of girl/guy.
12. If you could dye your hair any color, what would it be?
Haven’t we all imagined what it would be like to just bleach it all and start over?
1. Working on anything exciting lately?
This one’s pretty general, but it’ll get anyone to open up about their hopes and dreams.
2. When you were growing up, what was your dream job? Is that still what you’re working toward?
This will undoubtedly get people both retrospective and nostalgic. It’s the perfect balance between casual and vulnerable.
3. What’s your New Years’ resolution?
This one is most relevant in January, but if you’re on the subject of goals, you might as well ask.
4. Would you rather save up your money for the down payment on a house or spend it on fun adventures?
Priorities with money are vastly different, but you can tell a lot about a person by their answer to this question.
5. If you could put a stop to war or end world hunger, which would you do?
Would ending the world’s hunger have an impact on war or not? Lots to think about here.
6. If you didn’t have the job you have now, what would you like to do for work?
This is a great question that will help you see really what they would like to do with their life.
7. Where do you want to be in five years?
Working hard? Or Hardly working?
8. How do you stay motivated in accomplishing your goals?
People love to talk about their goals.
9. What are some goals that you would have if you didn’t convince yourself they were too hard to accomplish?
This will probably get into some pretty deep areas of conversation.
10. How have your goals changed over the course of your life?
Do you think it’s a bad thing to change your goals?
11. What do you want to do after you retire?
You’d be surprised at some of the depth people have when you really get them to open up.
12. If you could do something to change the world, what would you change?
This can be an overwhelming conversation topic, but it’ll really help you get to know someone.
1. Is there a charitable cause you support?
Get people to open up about the ways they’re changing the world. It’s a great way to initiate friendships.
2. If there’s a zombie apocalypse, what’s your plan?
Doomsday seems like a stretch, but you’d be surprised at the number of people willing to open up about their paranoid plans and far-fetched theories about the “end of days”.
3. If you were in a circus, what performer would you play?
Keep the conversation flowing with some casual speculation about what kind of health insurance a clown has.
4. If you were a farm animal, which would you be and why?
Cute and quirky questions like this are sure to get the banter flowing.
5. When you were a kid, did you have an imaginary friend? Tell me all about them.
If you’re interested in finding out some really cute things about your fellow conversationalist, this is the perfect question to ask.
6. In your expert opinion, what is the best letter of the alphabet?
Find some clever and surprising ways to ease this into a conversation and you’re sure to get some humor points. People love giving their opinions. And it’s the alphabet, a completely safe topic.
7. What is your idea of the perfect board game concept?
Candy-land and Chutes and Ladders are accounted for. There’s no doubt that this question will jumpstart creativity and get collaboration flowing.
8. Who would win–Batman or Iron Man?
Pit the MCU against the DC universe and watch the fandoms unravel.
9. What was the last fun/funny video you saw?
This, of course, leads to having everyone show their fun/funny videos to everyone else.
10. What do you do to rid yourself of stress?
You may learn about some unorthodox ways to get rid of your stress that you have never thought of before. Will those ways work for you, too?
11. Would you rather be bored or too busy?
Well, after that COVID-19 outbreak, we all know what being bored really feels like, so maybe your answer to this one is different than it was before that all happened.
12. What are two things you are obsessed with?
We all have those things in our lives that we simply cannot live without. You may find out your friends are quirkier than you thought.
1. Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Do you think it’s a legitimate holiday?
This is a touchy question, so be careful to ask it with consideration of your audience.
2. What even is St. Patrick’s Day?
For real, who even knows? Get a group of coworkers or friends theorizing about the purpose behind this widely contested holiday (or is it?).
3. When did your parents tell you the truth about the Easter bunny?
Relive that most traumatic of childhood moments with a group of friends, coworkers, or a significant other. You’ll probably find that a lot of you had similar heartbreaking experiences.
4. On the Fourth of July, are you more excited about the food or the fireworks?
Yes, it is possible to talk about America without approaching the sticky topic of politics. Shocking, I know.
5. What is the best Halloween costume you ever had?
This will bring up some fond childhood memories and hilarious personal stories.
6. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving dinner food?
Dark meat or white meat? Apple pie or cherry pie? The possibilities are endless.
7. Do you have any family Thanksgiving horror stories?
This one is sure to get your group or partner reminiscing, and it’ll probably end in a few spit-takes and laughter all around.
8. What is your favorite Hallmark Christmas movie?
The endless supply of stock-photo-level conversation material these movies give us every December is unprecedented. At least they’re hilarious.
9. If Santa was real, what would you say to him?
There’s never a bad time to bring up this question… okay, so maybe there is. But you’d get some very interesting responses.
10. How do you stay sane during the holidays?
You can’t go wrong with some pine-scented candles and bath bombs.
11. What is the coolest gift you’ve ever received?
Get people reminiscing on past birthdays and Christmases and the conversation will flow easily.
12. Do you think Christmas is too commercialized or do you love the hustle and bustle of the holidays?
There’s just something about the mall Santas and plastic Christmas trees. You gotta’ love it…or not.
1. If there were no seasons, would you rather be stuck in a perpetual harsh summer or a perpetual mild winter?
Global warming is getting real, so these climate questions might not be hypothetical pretty soon.
2. What’s your favorite season? Why?
You have a one in four chance to be in agreement with the people to whom you pose this question.
3. Do you associate certain foods, colors, smells, etc. with each season? Why?
They say smell is closely associated with memory, so it isn’t surprising that everyone has that one smell that reminds them of Christmas.
4. What’s your favorite winter sport?
There’s skiing and snowboarding and figure skating, all viewed from the hot-chocolatey comfort of your hearth.
5. What’s your favorite summer sport?
Swimming, surfing, track and field, popsicles and beautiful sunny days…
6. Do you prefer watching the winter or summer Olympics?
There’s no better way to spend your time than sitting on a couch cheering for your country from afar.
7. If you had the power to eliminate a season, which one would you get rid of?
This one is different for everyone. A 70° woodsy summer in Alaska versus a 70° beachy winter in Florida.
8. What is your favorite seasonal drink at Starbucks?
Pumpkin spice got your goat?
9. What foods do you most closely associate with summer? Winter? Fall? Spring?
Reese’s peanut butter chocolate eggs, roasted turkey and gravy, watermelon, lemonade, and all the best things you loved as a kid.
10. Is there a certain season/month that you spring clean in?
Of course, it’s never too soon to start organizing!!
11. How would life be different if you lived in the opposite hemisphere?
Would it be weird to celebrate Christmas in the summer?
12. Do you think we need winter to appreciate summer?
As Olaf would say, “The hot and the cold are both so intense, put ‘em together it just makes sense!”
1. If you had to pick any character in a movie who is most similar to you, who would you choose? Why?
If you’ve advanced past the initial awkward stages, this is a great one to keep the conversation flowing.
2. What is your all-time favorite movie from the 60s,80s,00s, etc.?
This question has led to many a Friday night movie marathon date/hangout. It also tells you how cultured your partner/friend/group really is.
3. Would you rather watch nothing but Christmas movies or horror movies?
I know what my sentimental sisters would pick! I think they’d be happy with all those Hallmark movies for the rest of their lives!
4. Who do you think you could be besties with, Superman or Spiderman?
Peter Parker is the literal cutest, but how about them sound-barrier-breaking abs?
5. What is the best movie you have seen so far this year?
You may not want to ask them this question in January.
6. What is the most overrated movie/movie franchise?
Be careful not to step on anyone’s feelings with this one. All us Potterheads can get extremely defensive.
7. What movies have made you weep?
Whether they’re tears of sadness, laughter, or fear, this is a unique way to get to deeper conversation with someone. The movies that touch us can teach us a lot about ourselves.
8. Do you like documentaries? If so, which ones?
Whether it’s the Romans, the Marianas Trench, or the Titanic, everyone has that one thing that they can’t help but geek out about.
9. What’s the strangest movie you’ve ever seen?
This includes foreign films, silent films, and those awkward Disney crossovers.
10. What was the last movie you saw in the theater?
Pre-COVID-quarantine, I would assume.
11. In your opinion, do you think movies have the same power as books to change the world and society?
There are some people that would argue that cinema is actually more accessible, and therefore has a wider impact.
12. What elements do you think a movie has to have to make it great?
You could get really cerebral with this one. Maybe even into the realm of how moviemakers are essentially mind-controlling the general public.
13. Do you prefer rom-coms to serious romance movies or vice versa?
Of course, there’s always the possibility that someone doesn’t actually like the romance genre altogether, but if that’s the case, then you might consider introducing them to a few of the classics.
1. Did you ever have Flappy Bird back in, like, 2013?
This is a funny and cute way to initiate a new topic. As long as you’re on the subject of apps, generally.
2. Have you tried this new app, _____?
This one’s pretty self-explanatory. Just make it sound as casual as possible.
3. When you get up in the morning, what is the first app you open?
This can also tell you a lot about a person and what they prioritize. In today’s world, a person’s phone is often their entire world.
4. What are your three favorite apps?
Your life could dramatically improve from asking people this question.
5. What apps came with stuck with your phone that you’d like to get rid of? Why?
Maybe others actually use some of the apps you hate and they could help you know how to put the junk app to good use.
6. What’s the latest app you downloaded? Did you like it?
New app ideas can help you be a more proficient human or they can suck your time and create addictions.
7. What are some apps you use to keep your life organized?
Rather than allowing our phones as distractions that make our lives harder. we might as well use them to make our lives easier.
8. How many apps are on your phone?
I don’t think anyone really knows this one off the top of their heads. Do you?
9. What’s the most addictive app on your phone?
I would bet that it’s a game or social media app. The makers are genius at getting us stuck to our screens.
10. What’s the weirdest app you have ever tried or just heard about?
Bizarre apps anyone? I’ve not heard of any, but I’m sure if you google them, you’ll realize how strange people can get.
11. Do you have any million-dollar app ideas you’ve thought of?
Almost everyone has one or two of these floating around in their heads at one time or another.
12. What app do you think is the least secure that you’ve ever had, that you think might be sharing your info?
We’ve all heard those news stories that warn us about the security issues with our apps. Which ones do you suspect?
1. What is your favorite book?
Short and to the point. This is a generic question for a reason: it gets people talking.
2. If you could have tea with a fictional character, who would it be and why?
Depending on the type of books your conversation partner(s) are into, the answers to this question could get weird.
3. If you wrote a memoir, what would its title be?
This can be pretty fun to think about. With a group of friends, you could even suggest titles to each other.
4. Would you rather read a book or watch the movie of the book?
Book-lovers already know their answer to this, but when a movie is well-made, it can still lure in the bookworms.
5. What was the last good book you read? Why?
This question will help you understand what kind of person they are and maybe even some of their values.
6. How many pages are in the longest book you’ve ever read?
Does anyone know how long the longest book ever is?
7. E-books or physical books and why?
The smell of a new book or the ease of carrying it all around in your devices?
8. Have you ever figured out how fast you can read?
I really do wish I’d learned to speed read. It would’ve made school assignments & homework go so much faster!
9. Do you ever go to your local library?
Libraries stress some people out. Others enjoy the quiet solitude.
10. What’s your favorite book genre?
There are those who seek self-improvement and those who seek to be taken out of themselves. Which are you more like?
11. Have you been greatly influenced by any books? Which ones?
Some stories help us transcend to be better people. Have you ever read one that’s changed your paradigm?
12. What are the best and worst books you have ever read?
The worst may tend to come from your early school years since you were forced to read the whole thing no matter how much you hated it…oh, those were the days!
1. What high school sport do you wish you could go back and master?
These days, it’s not all about football. Take a look at the soccer team, lacrosse, swim & dive, rugby, or even gymnastics!!
2. Would you rather watch the big game in the stadium or at home?
The energy is different at both options for sure. Want the roar of the crowd all around you or would you rather be quiet & comfy at home?
3. Which sports do you enjoy watching, but would never be good at playing?
We must admit that we are not good at everything we try. Watching it definitely does not make us an expert in it, either!
4. What sport is your favorite to play?
This will change as you get older. The enjoyment one gets from doing, say, gymnastics, when you are 10, will not be the same when you are 40!
5. Who’s your favorite athlete?
Knowing this can tell you a lot about what a person admires in others.
6. What’s a sport that you tried to play and were terrible at doing?
Answering this one should be fun & come with plenty of stories!
7. What’s the hardest sport you ever played that you actually excelled in?
Some people give up as soon as they realize it’s hard, but others will push through.
8. What sports do you think should not be in the Olympics?
There are certain strategies in each sport that we may not even understand, and they are probably all harder than we give them credit for.
9. How much time do you spend a week watching sports on tv?
This is a good one for showing you what the person’s priorities are.
10. Should athletes get paid as much as they do? Why or why not?
This is a tough one. The skill level and lifetime dedication necessary is immense, but how much is it worth?
11. Do you play any fantasy sports? Are you really into any of them?
Some people are fanatical when it comes to these virtual things.
12. Why do you think sports have been present in every society throughout most of man’s history?
This one is good for sports-lovers and non-sports-lovers. It makes you think about human nature.
1. Dude, I have to show you this meme.
Okay, so this is pretty self-explanatory and cliche, but a high-quality meme makes for some high-quality laughter and bonding time. (The “dude” is optional.)
2. What model of iPhone is that?
This one’s absolutely harmless, unless for some reason you really hate Apple products.
3. Do you prefer iPhones or Androids? Why?
You might just start a bar fight with this question, but sometimes the potential to get to know someone better is just worth the risk.
4. If you were stranded on a desert island with only one phone call, who would you call?
This’ll get people thinking… until they realize they should probably call the Coast Guard.
5. How much phone screen time do you think you get in a day?
Ooh! Not sure this question will make people feel very comfortable! I think most of us feel a little guilty about this one.
6. Do you prefer to call or text? Why?
Is one method more effective, cooler, quicker, convenient?
7. Do you feel like you always have to have the latest phone? Have you waited in line for it?
The latest and greatest is the best…until it’s not…
8. What capabilities do you wish your phone had that it can’t do now?
Some people will know right away, but others may be content and not want anything more.
9. What’s the most annoying thing about your phone?
We sometimes hate our phones, but I’ll bet most of us literally could not make a better device with our own knowledge and resources. Maybe we should be a little more grateful and patient with what we have.
10. When did you switch from a flip phone to a smartphone? Or did you never have one of those?
Kids with stricter parents and older people will remember those good ol’ days of flip phones!
11. Do you like your phone case and screen protector or not? What kind are they?
With online reviews being skewed more often now with fake reviews, chatting with others about this is a good way to figure out what your next phone protection should be.
12. Have you ever butt-dialed someone or felt a phantom vibration?
Haha! Both of these are a little embarrassing to admit to!
1. What is the most embarrassing thing you’ve ever posted online?
Yes, that Harry Styles fanfiction you posted on Wattpad back in 2014 counts.
2. What electrical kitchen appliance could you live without?
Toasters are pretty unnecessary, right?
3. Do you prefer Polaroid or digital cameras?
This one’s mostly for photography buffs.
4. What would you do if you were home alone and the power went out?
Watch out for the mirrors in the bathrooms and make sure to lock the doors.
5. Do you prefer to use a touchscreen or a keyboard and mouse?
There will for sure be a generational gap shown in the answers to this question.
6. Would you want to have one of those completely automated homes?
Hmmm…How accurate was Disney when they created Scrooge McDuck’s house?
7. Which social media platform is the best? Why?
Which one do you think you could live without? Is one more crucial in life than another?
8. How much time do you spend on the internet? What do you prefer to do when you’re on it?
This could be something people are proud to share or ashamed to admit. Social media counts, too!
9. If you had to give up your TV or your phone, which would it be?
This is a tough one. Don’t get too caught up, though; you’ll always have your Macbook.
10. Do you listen to any podcasts?
This will definitely start a conversation. Do they like listening to TED talks or are they just there to listen to the thrilling and sometimes disturbing criminal podcasts?
11. What’s the best thing you ever bought off of Amazon?
Are they spending their money wisely?
12. What’s the best technological advance you’ve seen in your lifetime?
This could turn into a fight or a long-lasting discussion.
13. Does technology, in general, make life more or less complicated?
The age of the person to whom you are speaking will influence their answer to this.